Wednesday, November 23, 2011

flying


On a brisk early November morning, my folks and I had the opportunity to go flying in a cessna with our friend and pilot Lee (also a new prof at Whitman). My folks were thrilled and the flight was smooth. As the landscape here is predominantly flat....it was nice to get some perspective. I love the patterns and undulations of farms and rolling mountains. I kept wanting to pet the seemingly velvety hills...and paint the patterns and textures of the land.


Awaiting departure ... time to snap a few pics.



At one point into the aviation adventure...I recognized that we were above the Snake river and near a canyon which holds a waterfall called 'Pallouse Falls'. Patrick and I had driven almost 2hrs to visit the spot a few weeks prior. I guided our pilot up the canyon and voilĂ ! There it was. We flew directly over it, giving us a fantastic view of the saw tooth cliffs jutting toward the top of the falls.

Mom and I could hear all the talk over the intercom, but were limited to lip reading and sign language to communicate over the loud hum of the engine.






Below: We flew over downtown Walla Walla. The tall building in the center is the Marcus Whitman Hotel.

And here is an arial view of Whitman College campus. You can see the big green sports field which are the center of campus in the top right of the photo.


Extensions of the Blue Mountains with wind turbines on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment